This Brussel sprout recipe is the perfect side dish for all seeking a bit of green on their plate. Packed with nutrients and flavor, these roasted Brussels will be a sure-fire way to get your kids (and adults!) to eat their greens!
Health Benefits Of Roasting Brussel Sprouts
You preserve many essential nutrients, such as vitamins C and K, by roasting them. Roasting Brussel sprouts brings out their natural sweetness and makes them deliciously crispy. Not to mention, it is a very healthy way to cook them.
Vitamin C is an important antioxidant that helps protect your cells from damage. It also aids in wound healing and helps keep your immune system strong.
Vitamin K is essential for blood clotting and bone health. It also has anti-inflammatory properties, which can help reduce the risk of some chronic diseases, such as heart disease and cancer.
Oven Roast Vs. Pan Roast
There are two main ways to roast Brussel sprouts: in the oven or on the stovetop. Both methods will give you delicious, crispy results.
- Oven roasting is the easiest method and gives the most consistent results. It is also the best way to cook large Brussels sprouts at once.
- Pan roasting is a great option if you are cooking a smaller batch or if you want to get a bit more color on your sprouts. It also adds other ingredients, such as garlic or bacon, for extra flavor.
How To Roast Brussel Sprouts?
- Whether roasting them in the oven or on the stovetop, the process is pretty similar. Start by preheating your oven (or heating your pan) to 400°F or 206 °C.
- Next, wash your Brussels sprouts and cut off the ends. If they are very large, you can also cut them in half.
- Then, add them to a bowl and toss with olive oil and any other seasonings you like. I like to use a bit of salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
- Once they are evenly coated, spread them out on a baking sheet or in your pan. Please make sure they are in a single layer to cook evenly.
- Roast in the oven for about 20-25 minutes, or until they are crispy and golden brown. Suppose you are pan-roasting; cook for 10-15 minutes, or until they are browned on all sides.
Fun Brussel Sprouts Recipe Variations
If you’re looking for a bit of variety in your side dish, there are plenty of ways to change this recipe.
- Try adding some different herbs or spices to the mix. Garlic, rosemary, and thyme all go well with Brussels sprouts.
- For a bit of a crunch, try adding chopped nuts, such as almonds or hazelnuts.
- Top the sprouts with some shredded Parmesan cheese before serving for a cheesy twist.
Brussel Sprouts Recipe
- 1 pound Brussels sprouts ends trimmed and halved
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 0.25 tsp salt
- 0.25 tsp black pepper
- 0.25 tsp garlic powder
- Preheat the oven to 400°F or 204°C.
- Toss Brussels sprouts with olive oil, salt, pepper, and garlic powder in a large bowl.
- Spread on a baking sheet and roast for 20-25 minutes, or until crispy and golden brown.
- Serve immediately.
- Add spices of personal preference.
- If preferred, Brussels sprouts can be quartered.
- Add Nuts, cheese, or other desired ingredients.
- Serve with roasted chicken or steak.
- Try serving with a simple vinaigrette.
- For a more substantial meal, add some cooked bacon or sausage.
Storage SuggestionsStore leftover Brussels sprouts in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days.
Reheating SuggestionsSimply cook in a pan over medium heat until warmed through to reheat. You can also reheat it in a preheated oven for 10 minutes.
FAQs Related To Brussel Sprouts Recipe
How Long Does It Take To Roast Brussel Sprouts?
It usually takes about 20-25 minutes to roast Brussel sprouts. If pan roasting them, it will take 10-15 minutes.
Can I Add Other Vegetables To The Recipe?
Yes! This recipe is versatile and can be easily adapted to add other vegetables. Try adding some chopped carrots, potatoes, or even some green beans.
What Can I Serve With Roasted Brussel Sprouts?
Roasted Brussels sprouts go great with just about anything. Try serving them alongside roasted chicken or fish, grilled steak, or even a simple salad.
This Brussels sprout recipe is a delicious and healthy way to enjoy this cruciferous vegetable. Add your favorite spices for extra flavor, or top with Parmesan cheese for a good surprise! Ideal on any night, Brussel Sprouts would be a perfect side to roasted chicken or steak.