With this dish, you sure are going to please many people! The creamy sauce and the crispy onions on top are just irresistible! The flavorful mushrooms and the cheesy sauce make this dish so rich and hearty that it will become a family favorite. For bean lovers, this is a must-try.
Choosing The Right Ingredients For Your Casserole
The secret behind a great green bean casserole is being mindful of the quality of the ingredients you use. Below are some tips to be watchful.
The type of green beans you use is essential. You want to get friendly fresh green beans, preferably from the farmer’s market. If you can’t find fresh green beans, you can also use frozen ones. Just be sure to thaw them before using them.
For this recipe, I like to use baby Bella mushrooms. They have a rich flavor that goes well with green beans. You can also use white mushrooms or a mix of both.
I like to use red onions in this recipe because they add a nice sweetness to the dish, but you can also use white onions.
I like to use cream of mushroom soup and sour cream. The sauce is what makes this dish so creamy and delicious. You can also add in some shredded cheese to make it extra cheesy.
Tips For Putting It All Together
- Never overcook the beans – you want them to be tender but still have a bit of a bite.
- Don’t forget to season the dish – I like to use garlic powder, onion powder, and black pepper.
- If you want a bit of a crunch in your casserole, you can top it with chopped-up bacon or fried onions.
- Slicing the red onions very thin – will help them caramelize and get nice and crispy in the oven.
- Let the casserole sit for a while after taking it out of the range so that all the flavors can meld together.
- Toasting the breadcrumbs before you add them to the top of the casserole – will help them stay crispy in the oven.
Green Bean Casserole Recipe
- 9×13 baking dish
- 2 cans green beans 15-oz each, drained and rinsed
- 1 can condensed cream of mushroom soup or 10.5 oz
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheese divided (mix of cheddar and mozzarella)
- 1/2 cup chopped mushrooms I used baby Bella mushrooms
- 1/4 cup red onions sliced
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- Preheat the oven to 350°F or 176.7°C.
- In a large bowl, mix green beans, cream of mushroom soup, sour cream, garlic powder, onion powder, and black pepper.
- Spray a 9×13 baking dish with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Stir in 1 cup of the shredded cheese and all of the chopped mushrooms. Pour into the prepared baking dish.
- Top with red onions and bread crumbs. Bake for 30 minutes or until the casserole is hot and bubbly.
- Remove from oven and top with the remaining 1/2 cup of shredded cheese.
- Let sit for 5 minutes before serving.
- If you can’t find fresh green beans, you can also use frozen ones. Just be sure to thaw them before using them.
- You can also use white mushrooms or a mix of both.
- You can also add in some shredded cheese to make it extra cheesy.
- Serve with a side of mashed potatoes and roasted chicken for a complete meal.
- Add a green salad on the side for a light and healthy option.
- Pair with a glass of white wine or your favorite beer.
Storing SuggestionsStore the leftovers in the fridge for up to 3 days. Reheat in the oven or microwave until hot and bubbly. You can also freeze leftovers for up to 2 months. Thaw in the fridge overnight before reheating.
Try this fantastic green bean recipe for your next family gathering or potluck. This dish is perfect for green bean lovers! It’s sure to be a hit! Let me know how you liked it in the comments below.