Guacamole is a popular Mexican dish that can be made in many different ways. This particular recipe is a simple one that only requires a few ingredients. It is an amazing dish for those who love avocado. Even a beginner cook can make this dish.
The Origin Of Guacamole
Guacamole is a dish that originated in Mexico. The word “guacamole” comes from the Aztec word “ahuacamolli” which means “avocado sauce”. It is believed that this dish was first created by the Aztecs.
The guacamole was originally a simple dish that only contained avocado, salt, and chili. Over time, other ingredients were added to the dish such as lime juice, onions, and tomatoes. These days, there are many different ways to make guacamole. You can add any ingredient you like or keep it simple with just a few ingredients.
Choosing Your Avocados
To make the best guacamole, you need to use ripe avocados. You should be able to gently press on the avocado and feel that it gives slightly. If the avocado is too soft, it will be mushy in the guacamole. If it is too hard, it will be difficult to mash and will not have as much flavor.
You also want to make sure that you use Hass avocados. Hass avocados are the most common variety of avocados and they have dark green, pebbly skin. They are also the easiest to find in stores.
If you can’t find Hass avocados, you can use another type of avocado, but the flavor and texture will be different.
Checking For Ripeness
To check if an avocado is ripe, you will want to gently press on it with your thumb. If the avocado indentation springs back, then it is not yet ripe. If the indentation stays, then the avocado is ripe and ready to be used.
If you are not sure if an avocado is ripe, you can also give it a little squeeze. If the avocado feels soft, then it is probably overripe and will not be good for guacamole.
Preparing The Avocados
Once you have chosen your avocados, it is time to prepare them for the guacamole. Start by washing them with cool water. Then, cut the avocados in half lengthwise.
You will then need to remove the pit from the avocado. The easiest way to do this is to take a spoon and scoop it out.
Once the pit is removed, you can then scoop the avocado out of its skin. Put the avocado in a bowl and use a fork to mash it.
Adding The Other Ingredients
Now that the avocado is mashed, it is time to add the other ingredients. For this guacamole recipe. Ingredients are in the recipe below.
Variations Of Guacamole
There are many different ways that you can change up this recipe.
- If you want spicier guacamole, you can add diced jalapeños or serrano peppers.
- You could also add in some chopped tomatoes or corn.
- If you want to make creamier guacamole, you could add in some sour cream or Mexican crema.
This guacamole recipe is a great base that you can change to fit your taste. Be creative and experiment until you find the perfect combination of ingredients for you.
- 4 ripe avocados diced
- 1/2 onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tomato diced
- 1 lime juiced
- 1 tsp salt
- Start by prepping your ingredients. Wash and dice the avocado, dice the onion, mince the garlic, and dice the tomato.
- In a large bowl, combine all of the ingredients and mix until combined.
- Taste and add additional salt, lime juice, or tomato as desired.
- Serve immediately or store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 24 hours. Serve with chips, on tacos, or just eat it straight out of the bowl!
- To make sure your guacamole is extra smooth and creamy, use a masher to mash the avocado instead of a fork.
- If you want chunkier guacamole, simply mash the avocado less.
- If you want spicier guacamole, add in some diced jalapeños or serrano peppers.
- As a side dish
- With eggs
Storing SuggestionsLeftover guacamole can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 24 hours.
That’s it! This easy guacamole recipe is perfect for your next party, get-together, or just because. Made with just a few simple ingredients, this guacamole is flavorful, delicious, and sure to be a hit with everyone who tries it. So what are you waiting for? Give it a try today!