A hot toddy is ideal for sipping by the fire or enjoying with friends at a holiday party. This fantastic hot toddy recipe is excellent for those seeking an exciting punch to warm up a cold night. Made with whiskey, Honey, lemon, and spice, it will please any crowd.
What Is Hot Toddy?
Hot Toddy is an alcoholic beverage with a distilled spirit, typically rum, whisky, or brandy. The drink is sweetened with Honey and often flavored with cinnamon or nutmeg. A hot toddy is traditionally served warm, making it a perfect wintertime sipper.
There are plenty of variations of the hot toddy recipe, so feel free to experiment with your favorite flavors. For instance, try substituting rum for whiskey or brandy. You can also add a splash of orange juice or cranberry juice for a bit of tartness. If you prefer a sweeter drink, increase the amount of Honey or add a dash of simple syrup.
Tips For Making A Perfect Toddy every time
- Choose a good quality whiskey, rum, or brandy for your drink. Lower quality alcohol will make for a less enjoyable toddy.
- Using fresh lemon juice, strain it to remove any seeds or pulp.
- Use Honey at room temperature to dissolve quickly in the hot liquid.
- If you prefer a spicier toddy, add an extra dash or two of cinnamon or nutmeg.
- Be careful not to let the drink boil, as this will cause the alcohol to evaporate. Toddies are best served warm, not hot.
- Serve your toddy in a heat-proof glass or mug to prevent burns.
Hot Toddy Recipe
- Heat-proof glass
- 1 oz whiskey or rum, or brandy
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 dash cinnamon or nutmeg
- In a mug or heat-proof glass, combine the whiskey, honey, and lemon juice.
- Stir until the honey is dissolved.
- Add a dash of cinnamon or nutmeg to taste.
- Fill the mug with boiling water and stir.
- Serve immediately.
- Serve your hot toddy with a slice of lemon, a cinnamon stick, or a small piece of crystallized ginger.
- For an extra special treat, float a scoop of vanilla ice cream in your toddy. The heat from the drink will slightly melt the ice cream and create a delicious creamy beverage.
- If you prefer a non-alcoholic toddy, try substituting apple cider or cranberry juice for the whiskey, rum, or brandy.
FAQs Related To Hot Toddy Recipe
What Can I Use If I Don’t Have Honey?
If you don’t have Honey, you can substitute it with another sweetener such as sugar, simple syrup, or agave nectar.
Can I Make This Drink Non-Alcoholic?
Yes, omit the whiskey, rum, or brandy from the recipe.
What Type Of Glass Should I Use?
A heat-proof glass or mug is best for serving hot toddies. A coffee mug or teacup will work well too.
Try out this fantastic hot toddy recipe if you are looking for an alcoholic drink that will keep you warm all winter long. This recipe is pretty simple to follow and only requires a few ingredients that you probably already have on hand. Be sure to experiment with different variations to find your perfect toddy. Cheers!