This classic dessert is perfect for summertime gatherings or when you’re craving something sweet. The key lime pie is a fantastic combination of tart and sweet, and the creamy filling is simply delicious.
Getting The Crust Right
The key to a perfect key lime pie is the crust. Ensure the crust is firm enough to hold up to the filling. A traditional graham cracker crust is always a good choice, but you can also use a store-bought pie crust or make your own.
Additionally, if you’re using a store-bought crust, bake it according to the package directions before adding the filling. This will ensure that your pie is nice and crisp.
Making The Filling
The filling for key lime pie is pretty simple to make. You’ll need key lime juice, sweetened condensed milk, eggs, and a little lime zest. Make sure to pick fresh key lime juice for the best flavor.
For the filling, combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix until well combined. Next, pour the mixture into the prepared crust and bake according to the recipe directions.
Common Mistakes To Avoid When Making The Key Lime Pie
- One of the most common mistakes people make when making key lime pie is not using enough key lime juice. Use at least 0.5 cups of key lime juice for the best flavor.
- Additionally, don’t skimp on the sweetened condensed milk. This ingredient helps to balance out the tartness of the key lime juice and gives the pie its characteristic creamy texture.
- Bake this pie until the filling is set. It should not be jiggly in the center when you remove it from the oven. If it is, return it to the oven and bake for a few minutes longer.
Key Lime Pie Recipe
- Electric Oven
- 1 9-inch pie crust unbaked
- 0.5 cup key lime juice
- 14 oz sweetened condensed milk
- 1 tsp lime zest
- Preheat the oven to 375°F or 190°C
- Combine key lime juice, sweetened condensed milk, eggs, and lime zest in a bowl. Mix well.
- Pour mixture into pie crust.
- Bake for 35 minutes.
- If desired, top with whipped cream, lime zest, or a slice of fresh fruit.
Serving SuggestionsKey lime pie is delicious served as is, or you can top it with
- Whipped cream
- A dollop of lime curd, or
Storing SuggestionsCover the pie tightly with plastic wrap or aluminum foil to prevent it from drying. The key lime pie can also be frozen. When ready to eat it, thaw the pie overnight in the refrigerator.
FAQs Related to Key Lime Pie
How Long Does Key Lime Pie Last?
Typically, the key lime pie will last 3-4 days when stored in the refrigerator.
Can I Freeze Key Lime Pie?
Yes, you can freeze key lime pie. When ready to eat it, thaw the pie overnight in the refrigerator. Wrap the pie tightly with plastic wrap or aluminum foil and store it in the freezer for up to 3 months.
What’s The Best Way To Serve Key Lime Pie?
The key lime pie can be served as is, or you can top it with whipped cream, a dollop of lime curd, or a sprinkle of lime zest. It’s also delicious, served with a scoop of ice cream or a slice of fresh fruit.
This incredible recipe is sure to tantalize your taste buds and have you coming back for more. So, what are you waiting for? Get baking and surprise your family and friends with this summertime favorite.