This scrumptious pumpkin pie recipe is perfect for the holidays! Made with just a few simple ingredients, it’s sure to become a family favorite. The flavorful pie is made with canned pumpkin, sugar, spices, and evaporated milk. The crust is made from a mix of flour, sugar, salt, and butter.
The Pie Crust
Start with the pie crust. You can make yours or use a store-bought crust. If you’re making your own, mix the flour, sugar, and salt in a large bowl. Then, use a pastry cutter or fork to cut in the butter until it resembles coarse crumbs. Add in ice water, 1 tablespoon at a time, until the dough comes together. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
Making The Filling
Now, it’s time to make the filling. Start by mixing the canned pumpkin, sugar, spices, and evaporated milk in a large bowl. Once everything is combined, pour the mixture into the prepared pie crust.
What Kind Of Pumpkin is To Be Used In The Pie?
There are many different types of pumpkins available, but not all of them are suitable for baking. For this recipe, you’ll want to use a sugar pumpkin, also known as a pie pumpkin. These pumpkins are smaller than the traditional jack-o-lantern pumpkins and have a sweeter flavor. They’re also easier to handle and have a lower water content, which makes them ideal for baking.
If you can’t find a sugar pumpkin, you can also use a canned pumpkin. Just make sure to buy pure pumpkin puree and not the kind that’s already flavored with spices.
What Kind Of Milk is To Be Used In The Pie?
This recipe calls for evaporated milk, which is shelf-stable milk that has been cooked down to remove water. It’s often used in baking because it provides a richer flavor and creamier texture than regular milk. You can usually find evaporated milk in the baking aisle of your grocery store.
If you can’t find evaporated milk, you can also use heavy cream. Just keep in mind that the pie will be slightly less rich and creamy if you make this substitution.
What Other Ingredients Are Needed For The Pie?
In addition to the pumpkin, evaporated milk, and crust ingredients, you’ll also need sugar, spices, and salt. For the spices, you’ll need ground cinnamon, ground ginger, and ground nutmeg. These three spices are typically used in pumpkin pies and give the pie its characteristic flavor.
You’ll also need a little bit of salt to balance out the sweetness of the pie. Too much salt can make the pie taste overly salty, so be sure to add it sparingly.
As for the sugar, you can use either granulated sugar or brown sugar. Brown sugar will give the pie a deeper flavor, while granulated sugar will keep the pie tasting light and sweet.
How To Make The Pumpkin Pie?
Making this pumpkin pie is easy! Simply mix the canned pumpkin, evaporated milk, sugar, spices, and salt in a large bowl. Then, pour the mixture into the prepared pie crust.
Bake the pie in a preheated oven until the filling is set and the crust is golden brown. Let the pie cool for at least 30 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
Common Mistakes To Avoid
When making this pumpkin pie recipe, there are a few mistakes to avoid.
- First, make sure to use the correct type of pumpkin. Sugar pumpkins are the best type of pumpkin to use for baking, so be sure to get one of those. If you can’t find a sugar pumpkin, you can use canned pumpkin puree instead.
- Second, be careful not to overcook the pie. The filling should be set but still slightly jiggly in the center. Overcooking the pie will result in a dry, crumbly filling.
- Third, don’t forget to let the pie cool before serving. This will give the filling time to set up and will prevent you from burning your mouth on the hot filling.
If you avoid these mistakes, you’ll be sure to end up with a delicious pumpkin pie that everyone will love!
- 1 can pumpkin puree or 15-ounce
- 1 can evaporate milk or 12-ounce
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 unbaked pie crust 9-inch
- Preheat the oven to 425°F or 220°C.
- In a large bowl, mix the pumpkin puree, evaporated milk, sugars, spices, and salt.
- Pour the mixture into the pie crust.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Reduce the oven temperature to 350°F or 175°C and continue baking for 45 minutes, or until the filling is set and the crust is golden brown.
- Let the pie cool for at least 30 minutes before serving.
Serving SuggestionsServe this pumpkin pie with a dollop of whipped cream or a scoop of ice cream. You could also top it with some chopped nuts, such as pecans or walnuts.
Storage SuggestionsThis pumpkin pie can be stored in the fridge for up to 3 days. Simply cover the pie with plastic wrap or aluminum foil to prevent it from drying out.
Pumpkin pie is a classic dessert that’s perfect for the fall and winter months. This easy recipe produces a delicious, flavorful pie that everyone is sure to enjoy. Be sure to try it out for yourself!