This rice recipe is so easy and so good! This Spanish rice calls for celebration, and it’s so delicious that you’ll want to make it again and again! It’s a fantastic side dish for any Mexican-inspired meal.
What’s Special About This Spanish Rice Pot?
This super easy Spanish rice is made in one pot. It’s full of flavor but not too spicy. The spice blend will leave your kitchen smelling amazing! It’s a fantastic way to use leftover rice.
Tips For a Delicious Spanish Rice Recipe
- When making this recipe, be sure to use long-grain white rice. This type of rice is more absorbent and will result in a more flavorful dish.
- Rinse the rice many times before cooking to remove any excess starch, as this will help the rice cook evenly and prevent it from sticking together.
- Be sure to simmer the rice until all the liquid has been absorbed. This will help ensure the rice is cooked through and yields fluffy, not mushy, results.
- Avoid using too much salt in this recipe. The broth and tomatoes used in this dish provide plenty of sodium. If this dish is too salty, add water or broth to balance it.
- For every 1 cup of rice, you need 2 cups of liquid. This is the perfect ratio for perfectly cooked rice.
Always go for extra virgin olive oil when cooking rice. It has a higher smoke point than other oils, so it can withstand the high heat necessary to cook the rice without burning.
It also imparts a subtle flavor that enhances the other ingredients in the dish.
Chicken broth is my preferred choice for this recipe, but you could also use vegetable broth.
I like to use diced tomatoes in this recipe, but you could also use crushed tomatoes. Give crushed tomatoes if using crushed tomatoes before adding them to the pot.
Green Bell Peppers
Bell peppers add sweetness and crunch to this dish. You could also substitute red or yellow bell peppers if desired.
Fresh garlic is always best but jarred minced garlic can be used in a pinch.
I like to use white onion in this recipe, but you could also use yellow onion.
This recipe calls for a blend of chili powder, cumin, and smoked paprika. If you don’t have smoked paprika, you could substitute regular paprika. This combination of spices is perfect for Spanish rice.
Long Grain White Rice
As I mentioned above, long-grain white rice is the best rice type in this recipe. It’s more absorbent and will result in a more flavorful dish.
Spanish Rice Recipe
- Large pot
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 cup white rice uncooked
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 can diced tomatoes (15-oz) undrained
- 1 green bell pepper diced
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 0.5 tsp salt
- 0.25 tsp pepper
- In a large pot, heat some oil over medium heat.
- Next, add the onion and garlic and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the rice and chicken broth and stir to combine.
- Add the diced tomatoes, bell pepper, chili powder, cumin, smoked paprika, salt, and pepper.
- Stir to combine. Bring this mixture to a boil. Then reduce the heat to low. Simmer for 20-25 minutes, occasionally stirring, until the rice is cooked.
- Remove the pot from the heat. Let it sit for 5 minutes to absorb the flavors. Serve warm.
Serving SuggestionsThis dish is delicious, but you could also serve it with grilled chicken or shrimp.
Storing SuggestionsLeftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
FAQs Related To Spanish Rice Recipe
What Is The Best Chicken Broth To Use In This Recipe?
I recommend using low sodium chicken broth as this will allow you to control the amount of salt in the dish.
Can I Make This Recipe Ahead Of Time?
Yes! This dish reheats well, so feel free to make it ahead of time. Store this rice in an airtight container in the fridge and reheat it when you’re ready to eat.
Is This Recipe Gluten-Free?
Yes, this recipe is naturally gluten-free.
Surprise your guests with this amazingly flavorful Spanish rice recipe! It’s perfect for any Mexican-inspired meal and is indeed one of the best side dishes you will ever make!