Kids’ favorite sugar cookies are one of the easiest cookies to make. This sugar cookie recipe can be made with or without frosting. There’s no better treat for your sweet tooth than a sugar cookie!
Sifting The Flour
The first step to any good sugar cookie recipe is sifting the flour. This helps to aerate the flour and make sure there are no lumps. Sifting also helps to make the cookies lighter and fluffier.
To sift the flour, you will need a fine-mesh strainer or sifter. Place the strainer over a bowl and add the flour. Use a spoon or rubber spatula to stir the flour around until it is all sifted.
Add The Wet Ingredients
Once the flour is sifted, you can add the wet ingredients. Start by creaming the butter and sugar together. This helps to create a light and fluffy cookie. Then, add the eggs and vanilla extract. Mix until everything is well combined.
Slowly Add The Dry Ingredients
With the wet ingredients combined, you can slowly add the dry ingredients to the mixture. Be sure to mix on a low speed so you don’t end up with a flour cloud! Slowly add the sifted flour to the wet ingredients until everything is well combined.
Mix In The Extras
Now it’s time to mix in the extras! This is where you can get creative with your sugar cookies. Add in anything from chocolate chips to sprinkles. Be sure to mix these ingredients in by hand so you don’t overmix the batter.
Getting The Cookies Right
The Right Texture
The key to perfect sugar cookies is getting the right texture. The dough should be soft, but not too sticky. If it’s too sticky, add a little more flour to the mixture. If it’s too dry, add a little bit of milk.
Rolling Out The Dough
Once the dough is the perfect texture, it’s time to roll it out. Place the dough on a lightly floured surface and use a rolling pin to roll it out to about 1/4 inch thickness.
Cutting Out The Cookies
Now it’s time to cut out the cookies! You can use any shape cookie cutter you want. If you don’t have cookie cutters, you can use a glass to cut out circles.
Once the cookies are cut out, it’s time to add the icing. If you’re using store-bought icing, simply follow the instructions on the package. If you’re making your icing, mix powdered sugar, milk, and vanilla extract until you reach the desired consistency. Then, use a piping bag or spoon to add the icing to the cookies.
Sugar Cookies Recipe
- 2.5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1.5 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350°F or 180°C. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time, then stir in vanilla. Gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture, mixing until just blended.
- Roll dough out onto a floured surface. Using cookie cutters, cut out shapes. Place cookies on a prepared baking sheet.
- Bake until cookies are golden brown, about 10 minutes.
- Cool on a baking sheet for 5 minutes; transfer cookies to a wire rack to cool completely.
- For a fun twist, try adding different mix-ins to the dough like chocolate chips, sprinkles, or dried fruit.
- You can use any type of cookie cutter you want for this recipe. If you don’t have cookie cutters, you can use a glass to cut out circles.
- If you’re using store-bought icing, simply follow the instructions on the package.
- Enjoy your sugar cookies with a glass of milk! You can also decorate them with icing and sprinkles for a fun twist.
- To store, place cookies in an airtight container and keep them in a cool, dry place. They will stay fresh for up to 1 week.
These sugar cookies are sure to be tempting and will leave you and your loved ones asking for more! So, what are you waiting for? Preheat the oven and get baking! Let us know how your sugar cookies turned out in the comments below.