When it comes down to tacos, homemade taco seasoning will always be better than any pre-packaged mix you can find at the store. It will taste fresher, but you can also control the ingredients to ensure no unwanted additives or fillers.
This recipe makes enough seasoning for about 8 tacos. You can easily double or triple the recipe if you think you’ll use it more often. Just be sure to store it in an airtight container to stay fresh.
The Perfect Balance Of Spices
Taco is all about the perfect balance of spices. You want a little bit of heat, a little bit of sweetness, and many flavors. This recipe has all of that, plus it’s gluten-free, Paleo, and Whole30 compliant.
If you want to change up the spices in this recipe, feel free! If you want a smokier flavor, you can add more chili powder for more heat or swap out the paprika for smoked paprika.
Tips On Spice Selection
- Chili Powder – Make sure to use a good quality chili powder for the best flavor. I like to use ancho chili powder, but you can use any kind.
- Cumin – This is a crucial flavor in taco seasoning, so don’t skip it!
- Paprika – I prefer to use sweet paprika in this recipe, but you can use smoked paprika.
- Cayenne Pepper – This is optional but adds a nice bit of heat to the seasoning. Omit it if you don’t like spicy food.
- Ground cloves – Ground cloves add a touch of sweetness to the seasoning. If you don’t have any on hand, you can omit them or substitute them with ground cinnamon.
Taco Seasoning Recipe
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 0.5 tsp black pepper
- 0.5 tsp cayenne pepper
- 0.25 tsp ground cloves
- Combine all of the spices in a bowl and mix well.
- Mix 1 tbsp of seasoning with 1 pound of ground beef or turkey.
- Store in an airtight container in a cool, dry place.
Mixing SuggestionsTry mixing the taco seasoning with:
- Ground beef or turkey
- Shredded chicken
- Black beans
- Pinto beans
Storing SuggestionsThis taco seasoning will stay fresh in an airtight container for 6 months. If you make a double or triple batch, you can store it in the freezer for up to 1 year.
FAQs Relating To Taco Seasoning Recipe
How Much Taco Seasoning Do I Need Per Pound Of Meat?
You will need 2 tbsp of taco seasoning for every pound of meat.
Can I Make Taco Seasoning Ahead Of Time?
Yes, you can make taco seasoning ahead of time. Just store it in an airtight container, and it will stay fresh for up to 6 months.
How Can I Use The Taco Seasoning?
Taco seasoning is great for any recipe that calls for taco seasoning mix. It’s also great as a dry rub for meats or veggies.
This taco seasoning recipe is my personal favorite, and I think you’ll love it too! It’s a great way to spice up your tacos and get your loved ones excited! It can be tough to find the perfect one with various taco seasonings to choose from.